Friday, July 22, 2016

Paw prints on my heart

Free stock photo of animal, dog, pet, focus
I was not going to cry!!

I went to the library to check out the audio of "Persuasion." However I discovered that it was already checked out!.

Bummer.....

 I found the CD's for "Marley and Me" by John Grogan and stepped into the check out line. As the librarian looked at what I had, she asked if I had read the book. I told her no, but had heard it was good. "You better get the tissues out, cause it will make you cry." Well before I even popped the first disc in, I told myself I would not cry. I mean it is a story about a dog..... I can handle that.

So for that whole week I enjoyed this story about a big yellow lab named Marley.  As I was putting the last disc in the CD player, I reassured myself, I was NOT going to cry.

So I listened. And then it came.... the tears.... big loppy tears. It was not so much the sadness of the story's ending, but the overwhelming memory of my own little puppy. Who turned into a big lovable Airedale dog!

 She was my best friend. We had her before we had our children.

She was my buddy.

My friend.

 Ten years and two children later, she left us. And oh..... what an ache in my heart. Even now as I think of her, the tears well up. How do we fall so in love with these critters and then they leave us!! My love for her was so deep that I have never been able to have another dog. I felt that I could not do it again. Their life is so short.

 John Grogan said it well. There are just some animals that you never forget. They have left their imprint on your heart.

"Flowers of true friendship never fade."

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new blog. I love the header! Yes, there are those pets that really snag our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful article and glad you are filling your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an avid reader and I love your new blog. Great stories. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings on your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good on you to be writing, best of luck hopefully we will see your books in print so we can read them too. I too have a typewriter like yours was Grandpa`s not sure why I have still have it, must get rid of a lot of hoarded rubbish that is cluttering up my home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you the best of luck on the new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sobbed like a baby when I read that book. =) I look forward to reading your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot, will not read books about animals - no no no. Not since junior high school, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck with your new blog!

    ReplyDelete