Sunday, July 10, 2016

Out of the nest

One week ago, I embarked on a new adventure. Many have gone before me, and many have much more experience than I have. But still, the moment arrived that has been heralded through all generations.

I became a grandmother.

It has not been taken lightly. Our youngest son and his wife became the proud parents of a little girl. One I am sure who will wrap each one of us around her little finger.

The thing that filled my mind as I was introduced to this next generation was the fact that the moment we are born, we begin the journey of being pushed out of the nest. Our first push comes from the birth. Snuggled deep inside a woman, a baby is bound by the safety of the womb. For nine months, the baby listens to the ever beating heart and grows in the  miraculous way God has designed. Then the moment comes, when the surge of pressure pushes the baby out into the cold and sterile world. Feeling the emptiness of warmth and security, the baby cries, seeking the comfort it was nestled in for months. People bundle the baby and the child learns to find comfort in the love being shown.

 Deut. 32:11  Like an eagle that stirs up its nest,
that flutters over its young,
spreading out its wings, catching them,
bearing them on its pinions,

We nurture our children with the necessities of life. But as with all living things, the baby will grow, and experience even more pushing. The inborn need for independence starts early. Learning to roll over, to sit up and eventually walk, each event pulling away from the safe bounds of security. Then the day comes when school becomes a big part of the child's life.  More independence is needed to further their development. Learning to make friends and how to conduct oneself with peers and teachers. And as many parents can testify, the years will fly by and it soon becomes evident as the child becomes a young man or woman, the nest becomes smaller and the world becomes larger.

On taking that leap sometimes we fall before we soar. Yet the greatest leap comes when we put our faith in the Lord, and walk in accordance to the example Christ has set before us.

Phil 3:12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.




 
Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,


I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.


 
Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.


 
Only let us hold true to what we have attained.



Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.


For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ.

New life brings new hope. We know not what tomorrow brings. My humble prayer is that our grandchildren will walk by faith, not by sight.




2 comments:

  1. Our paths are quite similiar. I too turned to writing after homeschooling and taking care of my in-laws. Learning to go where God leads and being stretched in the process. I enjoyed reading your work and was entertained and challenged. Thanks for sharing and God bless. Denise

    ReplyDelete