Monday, October 10, 2016

Writing a difficult scene

I've been writing a novella, which is a preview for the novel I've already written. A prequel of sorts. The story before the story.


The writing is flowing and I'm probably about half way through. But I've come to a scene and I find it difficult to write. The images in my mind are too vivid. Perhaps it's because it's related to a true life event. An event where a young man lost his life. When I think about it, it makes my insides turn. I can't help but think about the horror the family went through as they lost their sixteen year old son. Not only was it a tragedy, but the way he died was gruesome. An accident.

Everything I read about writing says we have to suck it up. Be tough. Whether it's the writing, the criticism, or the rejection letters. I thought I could write this and not be bothered by it But truthfully, it has found spot that makes my heart ache.

Writing can be hard. Especially when you filter real experiences through the grid of fiction.

 My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Psalm 73:26

No comments:

Post a Comment