Monday, October 3, 2016

Drama

 

Movies. We all love them. Whether we enjoy a good comedy, romance or murder mystery. There is something about a good movie that captures our attention.

Two of my favorite actors are Tom Hanks and Jack Lemon. In a sense, Tom Hanks has become the Jack Lemon of this generation. They both can portray light comedy and serious drama. They star or are featured in many of my favorite movies. And believe me, they both have made a lot of movies.

Watching a movie on TV the other night, the intensity of the music captured me. I started thinking how music is just as much the actor as those portraying on the screen. When your thoughts are caught up in a scene, the music pulls you to anticipate the next action. Feel the intensity? The drama?

How does that relate to writing? If my words are not compelling, not powerful enough to draw you to turn the page, it's like a movie without music. Have you ever turned the sound off when an actor is about to commit a crime? Or when the suspects name is going to be announced? You lose the building tension. The drama of the music steers you to watch and listen carefully. More times than not, the music crescendos and they go to a commercial! Come on! Who wants to buy another flashlight, or youth serum. Let's get on with the story.

In writing a story, there are no commercial breaks, so the intensity has to be developed by the author. The little innuendos, hints at what is coming. Sometimes a chapter breaks and you are taken to a new set, a different scene with a different player. But you know... you know, the drama will eventually unfold. I always try to figure out the "who done it" in a mystery novel. Sometimes, when I just cannot wait, I jump to the end and find out if I am right. Sigh... Yes, I know, it's probably not fair, but it sometimes gives me an "in" to watch for the clues that are dropped along the way.

Learning the craft of writing has opened my eyes to many areas I previously had missed. The drama that is life! Maybe one day I'll be able to pull it all together and garner the complete package.

As they keep saying. Practice, practice, practice.

 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men. -Colossians 3:23

1 comment:

  1. Tom Hanks in Castaway. I 'listen' to the movie, frequently, while quilting. I know exactly where we are in the movie due to the music, or background sounds. There is little talking during most of the movie.

    ReplyDelete