Monday, August 1, 2022

Are you listening?


Most of the time when we are traveling, instead of cooking breakfast we will stop and pick something up and keep on making the miles.
 
On a recent trip we stopped at this place -
 
Hubby parks and I went inside to place a to go order. It wasn't a difficult order, but I found it interesting that the young man who waited on me was not listening. He heard me, and even repeated what I ordered, but he was not listening. 

So when my order arrives, I ask is one coffee decaf? "Oh you wanted a regular coffee too?" he says. Yes one regular and one decaf.  And then I ask, "is one oatmeal only with butter?" He looks at me, "you wanted one with only butter?" "Yes" I said.

So the young man goes back and fixes another oatmeal, and pours a regular coffee.

Now I've been to many fast food places in my time, and sometimes they don't always get my order right. But this young man heard what I said but was not listening. 

Is that what I do with God? Do I sometimes think I hear the voice of the Lord, but am I listening?

For two years I prayed fervently about a situation. Every day I implored with my Heavenly Father to intervene. In my prayers I felt confidant that the Lord would hear my prayers and answer the way I wanted.  But in the end, it was not so. I felt disappointed and discouraged. Why had God not answered my prayers? Doesn't the scripture say "seek and you shall find, ask and it will be given unto you?"

You see, this was someone that is very close to me. And I wanted so badly for this person's life to turn around and return to the obedience of God's will. Yet every time I questioned God about this outcome, I sensed Him saying, Do you trust Me? Yes, Lord I trust you. But see, this is someone close to me, and this person knows better. But do you trust Me? Lord, I do trust you, but ...  Do you trust ME?
 
Chuck Swindoll once said, " God does not greatly use the man who He does not first greatly wound." Do I feel wounded? Yes, hurt and wounded. But I do know that God is faithful, and I CAN TRUST HIM!
 
"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for HE who promised IS faithful." Hebrews 10:23

2 comments:

  1. I can be that way with the sounds of nature. I do not notice them until I hear something unusual. Yet the background noise is rich and diverse, but it takes an act of will to listen and interpret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great analogy. I didn't even know that place had oatmeal. Shows how healthy I eat when I drive through! I found you at Living from Glory to Glory. I enjoy Roxy's blog, and I plan to come back and visit you again!
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete