Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Names

You know that sometimes a name will conjure up pictures in your mind. Past experience will start the mind computer and run the video.

A rose will conjure up this -


For sewers the name Bernina or Singer brings something like this to mind -


Let's just say "Paducah" or New York City, what do you think of?? Well if you have been to Paducah, and you are a quilter, you think of the annual Quilt show. Or New York as the City that never sleeps. We don't tend to think of all the historical background.

Or if I were to say Ford or Chevy, somehow I don't think this is the picture that you would conjure up in your mind ..........

And of course there are some double meanings for certain names.

Names are important. They hold in place either a person, a place, or even a thing. And they bring to mind a history or a memory.

I have read somewhere that a person's name is the sweetest sound. Have you ever noticed when you are in a crowded room, that if someone calls your name, you will turn and look. Or respond in some way.

I have an unusual name. It has always caused a tongue stumble for most people. I remember when I was a little girl how people would stumble over my name.  I've learned through the years to just answer if they are anywhere close. I have a nickname that I'm called by my family and friends, but there is always an explanation that goes along with it.

I guess for years I did not like my name, but it was mostly because it was different and people would butcher it. I liked my nickname as it was easier and I felt like it could just roll of the tongue. So much so that now when people call me by my "real" name it sometimes feel odd, or like it isn't really me. As I have gotten older, I am feeling more comfortable in my own skin and now I enjoy my name. It is unique, and you don't hear it everywhere you go.

So I hope you don't mind my little bit of banter :-) It's nice to have a place to share thoughts.

Have a wonder filled day.

1 comment:

  1. I never liked my name since it took me many years (and years of speech therapy at school) to be able to say my name.

    ReplyDelete